Occupational Asthma is a disorder of the lungs caused by substances found in the workplace causing the airways to swell and narrow. This can be typed as Allergic or Irritant. Depending on the form of exposure, occupational asthma can be sudden or develop months later.
Work Aggravated Asthma is a pre-existing condition that has been worsened by workplace exposure.
Symptoms of Occupational Asthma include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightening
- Breathing difficulty
In addition the following may also occur:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Eye irritation
Examples of causative agents:
- Grains, flours, plants and gums
- Isocyannates and metals
- Animals insetcs and fungi
- Drugs and enzymes
Which professions are considered to be at risk:
- Bakers (Bakers asthma is mainly caused by inhalation of cereal flour, particularly wheat flour)
- Metal Workers
- Animal Handlers and Veterinarians
- Bakers and Millers
- Carpet Makers
- Electronic Workers
- Janitors and Cleaning Staff
- Spray Painters
- Textile Wokers
There are full guidelines available from the British Occupational Health Research Foundation (BOHRF).
Requirements in accordance with The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH):
- Assess the risks and decide what precautions are needed
- Prevent or adequately control exposure by elimination or substitution
- If that is not possible use engineering controls such as enclosure and extraction
- As a last resort personal protective equipment (PPE) such as respiratory protective equipment (RPE)
- Ensure control measures are used and maintained
- Monitor the exposure regularly
- Provide health surveillance to at risk groups
If you have suffered from any one of the above symptoms due to a job, Versus Law can help you claim the compensation you rightfully deserve. We are widely regarded for our professionalism and will always keep you updated on any developments in your case, thus ensuring peace of mind, knowing your claim is in safe hands.
Contact us today to get your claim started. If you have any questions and are still unsure about weather or not you have a valid claim, we offer a FREE Consultation service and would be happy to answer all your questions.
NO WIN NO FEE
We can confirm we operate a NO WIN NO FEE agreement whereby we ensure your legal costs are only payable upon SUCCESSFUL completion of your case.