Housing Disrepair

Housing Disrepair

If you are a tenant in rented accommodation and your property is in a state of disrepair then you may be entitled to compensation. The disrepair is not limited to your property but also common areas outside your property that are still in the control of the landlord.

It is important your landlord provides you with accommodation free from faults and fulfills all its obligations of carrying out essential repairs or improvements within a reasonable time and failure to do so may constitute disrepair.

It is imperative you notify your landlord of the disrepair immediately (if not done so already) and keep a record of the number you called (or a copy of the email / letter sent), date of the notification, time of the notification, person spoken with and what was discussed.

Housing disrepair can consist of but not limited to the following:

  • Damp
  • Mould
  • Leaks
  • Damaged windows / doors
  • Damaged plaster work
  • Blocked drains / gutters
  • Defective heating
  • Water damage
  • Electrical faults



If your case is successful, we can request the Landlord to:

  • Repair the disrepair to your property  (not limited to)
  • Seek damages for out of pocket expenses due to the disrepair, damage to belongings, travel expenses etc
  • Seek damages for inconvenience, discomfort, mental distress, loss of enjoyment, ill health and potentially cost of alternative accommodation.

The compensation amount will depend on the facts of your case.

Our specialist solicitors will provide you with expert advice and guide you through the claims process.

We are here to help and offer a no obligation free consultation to discuss your case. 

We offer appointments by telephone at a time and day convenient to you and if you wish, you can see us at our office too but this is not compulsory as a telephone consultation is sufficient.

The claim will operate on a NO WIN NO FEE basis.